Head Off Holiday Disasters With HVAC & Plumbing Maintenance
When the kids have time off from school and family comes to visit for the holidays, your home's HVAC and plumbing systems have their work cut out for them. The best way to avoid breakdowns and disasters is to prepare for higher heating and water usage with preventative measures. Scheduling Sugar Land area HVAC & plumbing maintenance before the holidays will save you time, money and hassle.
Keep reading for tips on keeping your home comfortable and cutting down on costs this holiday season!
HVAC Maintenance For The Holidays
As the temperatures start to drop in the Sugar Land, TX, area, having reliable heating for your home is essential. Maintaining your HVAC system helps prevent heating emergencies that interrupt your holiday preparations. Follow these tips to keep your home toasty through the holiday season!
Schedule A Professional Heating Tune-Up
After a long, hot, humid summer, keeping your home warm may be the last thing on your mind. Don't let the cold weather sneak up on you, though. Early fall is the perfect time to schedule a seasonal tune-up for your heating system.
What does preventative heater maintenance include?
- A thorough inspection of the pilot light, ignition, fan motor, belts and all other parts.
- Checking electrical connections, gas pressure, voltage, exhaust system and heat exchanger.
- Changing dirty and clogged air filters to improve air quality.
- Lubricating motor bearings and moving components.
The more people there are in your home to celebrate, the more important it is to avoid repairs and breakdowns. Annual maintenance will help you stay on top of pending problems before they turn into a major headache.
DIY Tips For Fall HVAC Maintenance
In between professional HVAC services, it's important to keep an eye on your equipment so you can spot any malfunctions. There are several steps you can take to keep your home safe and comfortable year-round.
- Keep the indoor and outdoor units clean, dust-free and clear of any leaves and obstructions.
- Make sure nothing is blocking the vents and preventing proper airflow.
- Clear outside vents and chimneys and check the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Set the thermostat to 68-70 degrees to avoid overworking your heating system.
Conserving Energy & Saving Money
With more traffic in and out of your home, you will probably notice an increase in energy usage and utility costs. Advancements in HVAC technology make it easier than ever to prevent energy waste and protect your wallet.
- Consider upgrading to an energy-efficient heat pump or an HVAC system with a higher SEER rating.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated to stop heated air from escaping.
- Install a smart thermostat to maintain indoor temperatures throughout the day.
- Check that windows and doors are properly sealed to prevent drafts.
Plumbing Maintenance For The Holidays
High-traffic areas like bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms need extra attention during the holidays to avoid leaks and clogs. Staying ahead of increases in water usage will help you prevent waste and breakdowns, manage utility costs and ensure you have reliable water everywhere you need it.
Schedule Preventative Drain Cleaning
You may think that professional drain cleaning is only needed when a stubborn clog is backing up water. Drain cleaning can also be scheduled as a preventative service to remove buildup and potential blockages before they escalate.
Why should you schedule preventative drain cleaning for the holidays?
- More people in your home means more buildup in drains (hair, soap scum, etc.)
- Holiday cooking increases your garbage disposal's workload and the chances of a clog.
- Staying on top of lingering grease and debris reduces the risk of plumbing disasters.
- Preventative services protect your pipes and avoid the use of caustic cleaning chemicals.
In addition to drain cleaning, we also recommend scheduling a professional plumbing inspection. Your technician will check the water heater for proper function, ensure there are no leaks, make sure the sewer lines are in good condition, test the water pressure and check the toilets and fixtures.
DIY Plumbing Tips For Fall Maintenance
While working with a professional to inspect and maintain your home's plumbing is the most effective way to prepare for the holidays, you can follow these steps for extra DIY protection.
- Check the water pressure and clean shower heads with baking soda and vinegar to remove mineral deposits.
- Make sure everyone in your home knows where the main water shutoff valve is in case of emergencies.
- Use sink and bathtub strainers to catch hair and other debris before it goes down the drain.
- Make sure pipes and outdoor plumbing fixtures are properly insulated for cold weather.
Conserving Water & Saving Money
No one wants to spend a fortune on water bills during the holidays. An increase in water usage is unavoidable when hosting family and friends, but there are many ways to minimize waste.
- Be water-conscious by setting a shower time limit and turning the tap off when not in use.
- Consider installing smart plumbing appliances like high-efficiency toilets and smart faucets.
- Upgrade to a tankless water heater to eliminate warm-up times and enjoy hot water on demand.
- Let frozen foods like turkey and ham defrost in the fridge overnight rather than in warm water baths.
RocketMan: Keeping Your Home Comfortable For The Holidays
At RocketMan Service, we know that planning for the holidays can be stressful. That's why we offer comprehensive HVAC and plumbing services that keep your Katy area home comfortable and worry-free. Our BoostPlan maintenance agreements also make regular tune-ups a breeze with scheduling reminders and exclusive membership savings.
Let us handle your indoor comfort so you can get back to what matters most. Contact our team online or give us a call at 713-540-1000 to schedule your tune-up, inspection, replacement or repair today!